BUYER’S BUSINESS TERMS & CONDITIONS
Buyers Charge: 20% of the hammer price + VAT
Buyers bidding via the-saleroom.com attract a further 3% + VAT charge
- If not bidding via an online platform then bidders must register at our office prior to the commencement of the sale to receive their individual biding number. Please signal to the Auctioneer that you are bidding by clearly raising your hand, catalogue or bidding number.
- Commission Bids are accepted at the sender’s risk without obligation. We prefer to accept bids by email, post or telephone. Bids must be left with the Auctioneer by 5.00pm the day before the sale.
- Commission bids are carried out free of charge and lots will be bought for you as cheaply as is allowed by competing bids and reserves already on our books. Where there are 2 or more commission bids of the same value the earliest received bid takes precedence.
- Bids are subject to the standard conditions of sale which are on display in the showroom and available on request.
- Payment must be received within 3 days of the sale and may be made in cash, by bank transfer, debit card or credit card; we can only accept credit card payments up to a maximum of £200 per invoice. First time international buyers must make payment via bank transfer, unless otherwise arranged with the auction house. If you have registered to bid online, payment may be taken from your debit or credit card immediately following the Auction. Payment by debit card or credit card over the telephone will only be accepted if the purchaser is personally known to Townsend Auction Galleries, and the card holder’s name and address matches the card provider’s records. Bank transfers are acceptable and full details can be given upon request.
- Unless otherwise arranged, all lots must be collected within 3 days of the sale.
- For goods left on our premises – whether paid for or not – for more than 5 days after the date of the sale, Townsend Auction Galleries reserves the right to charge £10.00 + VAT per lot per day storage. This applies to all types of objects whether big or small. In the event of storage charges accrued becoming in excess of the invoice total of the items, possession of the items will revert to Townsend Auction Galleries, and storage charges in excess of the invoice total will become payable to Townsend Auction Galleries.
- If you require postage and packing please refer to our recommended shippers page or get in contact with the auction house for more specific needs.
- Estimates and Descriptions – The condition of items is not given in the catalogue. Buyers must satisfy themselves as to the condition of lots. We attempt to mention major restorations and alterations. The estimated selling price is a guide for the buyer, but is not to be taken as definite. Dimensions are given height before width. Purchasers are advised to take their own measurements to guard against any unseen catalogue error.
- Electrical Goods – Any lot with an electrical fitting must be checked by a qualified electrician before connecting to a mains electrical supply. Townsend Auction Galleries cannot be held responsible for any contravention of this condition (Electrical lots are sold disabled as far as is reasonable, to discourage any unchecked use).
SELLERS BUSINESS TERMS & CONDITIONS
- Sellers Commission – 15% of the hammer price + VAT, subject to a minimum of £2.00 per lot.
- Insurance – Insurance will be charged at 1.5% of the hammer price.
- Printed Catalogue Illustrations – Illustrations attract a charge to cover photographic and production costs, usually between £5 – £50.
- Advertising – All normal costs are covered by Townsend Auction Galleries. In certain cases an individual marketing plan will be devised and cost agreed with the client.
- Withdrawal Fee – At the valuer’s discretion, a maximum of 15% of the reserve price or lower estimate price will be charged if the item is withdrawn within 3 working days of the sale.
- Unsold Lots – No charges will be made on lots which do not sell. Unsold lots MUST BE REMOVED WITHIN 3 DAYS of the sale in which last offered unless explicit alternative arrangements have been made with the Auctioneers. Lots not collected will incur a £2 per lot, per day fee. If no contact is made in respect to the items within 2 weeks, the Auctioneers reserve the right to dispose of the goods and charge the vendor for any expenses incurred. Sellers, who do not wish their lots to be re-offered at our discretion in the next sale, should confirm their instructions in writing indicating collection arrangements.
- Carriage Charge – Requirements and costs will be discussed with the client before any carriage is undertaken.
- Lotting Fee – To enter a lot into a sale will cost £3.00 per lot.
- Consignment deadlines – All lots for fine art sales must be consigned 1 calendar month before the sale date, other specialist sales 14 days, and for Interiors sales 7 days before the sale date.
- Definitions – In these conditions of sale, Townsend Auction Galleries act as agents for the vendor and are called Townsend Auction Galleries, or the Auctioneers.
- The Auction – a) The highest bidder shall be the buyer and if during the Auction the Auctioneer considers that a dispute has arisen; he has absolute discretion to settle it or re-offer the lot. b) Townsend Auction Galleries disclaims responsibility for default by either the buyer or vendor because they act as Auctioneers only.
- Payment – You will be sent a statement along with a cheque, in the normal course of business around 30 working days after the sale, subject to receiving cleared payment from the buyer.
- The Warranty of Title – The seller listed is the true owner or has the full permission of the owner to consign the items for sale and is able to transfer the property free from any third party claims.
THANK YOU FOR USING TOWNSEND AUCTION GALLERIES.
Townsend Auction Galleries Ltd. – Company No. 8281862